Monday

How to Get Messy Wavy Summer Hair

This is what I do to get body in my hair if I don't have time for my curling wand.  I have step by step pictures below, and beneath I will give a description of each step.  I hope I have made this tutorial fool proof!  Feel free to ask any questions in our comment section beneath each post.  Oh and this is best to do right after you have blow-dried your hair (while it's still hot).  I always put it up in the bun and leave it while I put on my makeup and get dressed, so it has time to set.  You can also add a diffuser to your hairdryer and place it on top of the bun to add heat and help set it even better.  Just make sure that your hair has had enough time to completely cool before you take it down.  This is because your hair will change shape when it is hot and you want to keep the twisted shape of the bun, but if you take it down while it's still hot it will lose it's wave from the weight of the hair being taken down.  Time to get wavy!!
wavy summer hair tutorial
  • Flip your head over and comb through hair with fingers to make sure there are no tangles
  • Pull hair to the ponytail position so that is will be right on top of your head
  • Stand up straight and begin to twist hair
  • Twist hair until it starts to coil downward
  • Making sure to twist hair to the very end
  • Coil hair around in the shape of a bun
  • Add a bobby pin going against the direction of the hair and the very end of your twist
  • Add a clip on top of the bobby pinned section making sure that hair is laying down beneath it.  Also make sure that you squeeze it tight so that it will hold.
  • This is the curl booster I spray on my hair once I take it down.  I buy it at Ingles but you can also buy it at Wal-Mart.  Hey, sometimes the cheap stuff just works!
  • Gently untwist your hair and finger through it lightly.
  • Then spray with curl booster and scrunch from the bottom upwards.
  • Now let's add volume at the root with my favorite hairspray.
wavy summer hair tutorial
  • The top pic is so you can see a front and back view of my hair.  See how it's a sort of messy wave? If you want, you can go back with the wand and curl just a few pieces to make it look a little more defined.
  • If not, it's time to add hairspray to the root.  Just lift sections and spray like in the picture.  Working your way around your head.  I usually do two layers on each side and two layers in the back. 
  • After spraying a layer put hand in hair from underneath, leaning to the side so hair is away from the root, and fluff upwards with fingers (make sure to do this step immediately after spraying the section so the hairspray dries in the fluffed position)
  • Now you have wavy summer hair in very short time.
                                                          XOXO,                                                                                                 
                                                                                             







6 comments:

  1. How long do you leave it in the bun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this and it didn't really work for me. Maybe my bun wasn't tight enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jill
    15-20 minutes should be enough, but the key is to let it completely cool before you take it down. The longer the better. But, you have to spray it with something in order for it to stay;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Maria Hone
    Did you put it in the bun immediately after drying it, while it was still hot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool. I use a similar technique but no hairspray. Some of the time I use hairspray but not all the time. I don't really like the spray getting on my face at all and that's sometimes hard to avoid. I prefer products I can work into my hair while styling it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave any glamorous comments here: